Just bought some broccoli, green onions, beets, and mustard greens from a stand at 18th and Columbia. I’m assuming they’re from the Clean Greens program. Almost everything was $2/bunch, except for some great heads of cabbage for $3 and potatoes for $4.
Definitely worth a stop by!
I think I read on this blog once that there are more dog owners than parents of human children in the CD. Having recently joined the former, I’ve been searching for a place to provide some daytime care for my pup that serves the CD.
After lots of internet searches, I’ve found some places that list the CD within their service area, but there are probably more. I’ll list them here (in no particular order). Have you had experiences (good or bad) with any of them? Any that you love or would avoid that aren’t listed here?
Dogs on the Hill (already listed in the Reviews section)
Best Buddy Pet Care (www.bestbuddypetcareseattle.com)
See Spot Run (www.seespotrunseattle.com)
Copilot Dog Walks (www.copilotdogwalks.com)
Central Bark (www.central-bark.com)
Dog Mania ( http://www.dogmaniaseattle.com/) — in Mt Baker
Davies Dogworks (www.daviesdogworks.com/index.htm) — around Seward Park
Wags N Words ( http://www.wagsnwords.com/)
Day of the dog (www.dayofthedogseattle.com)
Fetch — in Madrona
Camp Happy Paws (www.camphappypaws.com) — overnight boarding in Bothell
Just saw big police and ambulance response at 12th and Alder around 10:40ish, so I jumped on the scanner and heard that someone was shot in the hip? and that 2 suspects, 1 black male and 1 black female in a white Chevy Impala (2002ish) were last seen heading East on Jefferson.
Update by scott – from the SPD blotter:
On August 14th at approximately 10:30 a.m., Seattle Police officers responded to a call of shots fired and a victim down in the parking lot of the Youth Services Center. Officers responded along with Seattle Fire and located a male with a non life-threatening gunshot wound. The victim was transported to Harborview Medical Center for his injury. Preliminary witness accounts indicate that there may have been two or three suspects who fled in a white Chevrolet from the scene following the shooting. Detectives from the Gang Unit, Homicide and CSI all responded to investigate and process the scene. This is an active and on-going investigation.
I ran across a post the other day where people were discussing the lack of evening/night places in the CD to hang out. So I thought I’d list a couple of my favorites (in no particular order) that are open past 7pm and see if others had suggestions to add:
Watertown (12th/Jefferson-ish) — cafe serving Vivace beans, vegetarian food, and they now have a full bar! I think they’re open from early morning until 9 or 11pm (I can’t remember which). It’s more like a cafe to hang out in, they have an xbox, board games, and a ping pong table too.
Twilight (25th/Cherry) — bar that opens around 4ish until last call. Full bar/food, now with an outdoor patio open until 9pm and ping pong outside. Their food rocks and their drinks are cheap, with happy hour from open until 8pm.
Central Cinema (21st/Union) — A must for anyone who lives in the CD and beyond. Beer/Wine, Coffee/Tea. A cafe that serves good food and has wifi and a few board games. And, of course, the cinema that you can also order food/drinks in. The cafe is usually a chill place to hang out in, and they have A/C for those occasional Seattle heat waves.
Cafe Presse (12th/Spring?) — cafe/bar that serves full espresso options, food, and full bar. open from 7am until 2am I think. While it does get busy during peak eating hours, I’ve been able to hang out here and work (they have wifi) or sit at the bar with a book with no problems. They don’t like it when you take up multiple tables though.
What are your favorites? Add them to the reviews section!
At the beginning of March, I decided to make an effort to visit as many places in the CD as I could. We’re in the middle of a crappy economy and I wanted to to support local businesses and see if I could get what I needed (so to speak) without leaving the CD . While I didn’t make it to as many places as I wanted, I did start to pay better attention to places in the neighborhood and kept a list.
I’m posting that list here. If there’s an entry in the Reviews Section of CDNews, it’s listed in italics. If there’s not a review or you’ve been to these places — please submit one! I’m sure I missed a ton of places, so I’d love to hear your recommendations and suggestions.
- Mezzaluna (26th and Judkins)
- King Creole Louisiana Gumbo & BBQ (31st and Cherry)
- Northwest Tofu (20th and Jackson)
- Moonlight (20th and Jackson)
- Lemongrass (12th and Jefferson)
- Lark (12th and Spring)
- Waids (12th and Jefferson)
- Hidmo Eritrean (20th and Jackson)
- All Purpose Pizza (29th and Jackson)
- Central Cinema (21st and Union)
- Ezells (23rd and Jefferson)
- Mesob Ethiopian (14th and Jefferson)
- Addis Ethiopian (13th and Jefferson)
- Meskel Ethiopian (26th and Cherry)
- Ade Abeba Ethiopian (22nd and Union)
- Assimba Ethiopian (Cherry and MLK)
- Northshore Hawaiian BBQ (Yesler and Boren)
- Catfish Corner (MLK and Cherry)
- Watertown (12th and Jefferson)
- Thompson’s Point of View (23rd & Union)
- Ginger Lime (12th and Columbia) — recommended for Pho
- Ti Amo pizza parlor (12th and Columbia)
- Shodai Teriyaki (MLK and Union)
- Cafe Stellina (12th and Madison)
- Twilight Exit (25th and Cherry)
- Licorous (12th and Spring)
- Waids (12th and Jefferson)
- Café Presse (12th and Madison)
- Bottleneck Lounge (24th and Madison)
- Red Apple (23rd and Jackson) — greatly improved produce section, better organic section
- Grocery Outlet (MLK & Union)
- Safeway (23rd and Madison)
- Franz Bakery outlet (20th and Jackson)
- New Town Market (12th and Columbia)
- Madison Market (16th and Madison)
- Trader Joes (17th and Madison)
- 2 Big Blondes ladies plus size consignment shop (25th and Jackson)
- La Waltz (18th and Union) – going out of business
- Zizi’s (22nd and Union)
- Langston Hughes Cultural Center (17th and Yesler)
- Central Cinema (21st and Union)
- NW African American Museum (23rd S and Massachusetts)
- Samarya Center – Yoga (18th and Yesler)
- Studio 17 Oh 1 – Dance Studio (1701 23rd Ave)
- Cappy’s Boxing Gym (21st and Union)
- Seven Star Women’s Kung Fu (21st and Cherry)
- Seattle Kajukenbo – Kung Fu for men and women and kids (22nd and Union)
- Medgar Evars Pool (23rd and Cherry)
- Every Body Health and Fitness (22nd and Jackson)
- YMCA (23rd and Olive)
- Groovy Dancer (18th and Union)
- Feminist Karate Union (15th and Jackson)
- Couture Nail Salon (20th and Yesler)
- Good Hair Salon (20th and Yesler)
- Vocational Institute (21st and Jackson)
- Seattle Film Institute (23rd and Olive)
- Pratt Art Institute (20th and Jackson)
- Giddens School (20th and Lane)
- Sakahara & Hashimoto, LLC (16th and Jackson)
For the Kids
- Rotary Boys and Girls Club (19th and Spruce)
Does anyone know what was happening last night around 17th and 18th and between Alder and Jefferson around 10pm? Noticed lots of cops combing the area on my drive home last night, looking for someone. Was there a break-in?
Looks like the Seattle PD made a big bust and have recovered over 500 items that were stolen in Seattle and Bellevue before Dec. 11. Apparently, you can go to one of the precincts to view the items. This isn’t necessarily specific to the CD, but given all of the burglaries in the neighborhood, you never know…