Kerosene lamp starts Leschi house fire during power outage

A tree fell on some power lines in Leschi, plunging thousands of homes into darkness Saturday evening. Like many others, residents at a house near Lake Washington Blvd and Erie Ave found other ways to get some light during the hours-long weekend outage.

Unfortunately, one kerosene lamp in the house turned over, catching fire and resulting in a huge emergency response. In the end, though, the fire was put out quickly and there were no injuries.

Details from Seattle Fire:

Seattle Fire Investigators determined fire in a Leschi home was accidental caused by an overturned kerosene lamp onto combustible materials.

At 11:33 a neighbor called 911 to report flames coming from a house locate in the 100 block of Erie Avenue. The neighbor helped evacuate the elderly resident. Engine Company 6 arrived to find a fire in the front room of the two and a half story house. Fire crews were able to contain the flames to the front room and preventing them from extending to the rest of the home.  It took 13 minutes for firefighters to completely extinguish the flames.

There were no reported injuries.

Fire investigators estimate the damage at $2,000 to the structure and $3,000 to the contents.

Comments are closed.