A man and his five-year-old daughter woke up to the sound of smoke detectors and the smell of fire around 4:30 Monday morning. They were able to flee their 33rd and Cherry home through the back door as flames and smoke filled the front room, according to Fire Department spokesperson Kyle Moore.
Firefighters were able to put out the flames in the front room, but not before the fire spread to the attic. They then had to cut holes in the roof to douse the smoldering. In all, damage to the house and contents are estimated at $250,000.
The fire started when someone put out a cigarette in a potted plant outside the home near the front stairs. The potted plant had peat moss in it, which is flamable (“You learn something new every day,” said Moore who, like this author, was not previously aware peat moss is easily combustible). The flames then spread from the planter spread to the front of the house.
The man told firefighters he is thankful his smoke detectors had batteries, or things could have been much worse for he and his daughter.
was it his cigarette?
Most importantly, glad everyone got out alright