Community discussion on CDNews is always lively, but the recent occupations of vacant homes in the neighborhood dominate a list of the most-commented stories in 2011. The members of the Turritopsis Nutricula collective at 23rd and Alder (who have a court date December 28) have been in the unfinished duplex for well over a month, and their stay has sparked debates about gentrification, homelessness, property ownership and what is best for the neighborhood.
Turritopsis Nutricula also paved the way for a series of other squats in the neighborhood with ties to Occupy Seattle. That conversation is long from over.
The Horace Mann occupation also made the list, as did a conversation about Metro route change proposals, news of The Neighbor Lady moving into the Thompson’s Point of View space and the sale of the Promenade 23 shopping center to a Texas trust.
Like any community-wide discussion, conversations on CDN can be frustrating and difficult at times. But they are often productive, informative and uplifting. The real magic of CDN happens when community members share information and thoughts with each other. As a truly community news site, CDN depends on all of you keeping your neighbors informed, and we try to make the site a welcoming space. No matter who you are, if you live or work in the CD, your voice is important here.
Thank you all for the lively conversation this year. We look forward to all the discussions to come in 2012!
- Members of Occupy Seattle occupy ‘abandoned’ building at 23rd and Alder – 270
- Twilight Exit owner opening new bar in the Thomspon’s Point of View space – 87
- City signals plan to evict occupiers at 23rd and Alder – 72
- An Open Letter on Recent Graffiti – 71 (the most-commented community post)
- Duplex at 23rd and Alder still occupied, now called Turritopsis Nutricula – 66
- Occupiers at Turritopsis Nutricula summoned to court for eviction – 65
- Once an ambitious development, Promenade 23 sale to large Texas trust pending – 63
- Seen at 23rd and Jackson | ‘Everyone hates a snitch’ – 62
- Squatters kicked out of house at 12th and Jefferson – 61
- Delivery driver robbed at gunpoint of pizza and cash on 22nd Ave – 61
- Proposed School Boundary Change for Stevens/Madrona K-8 – 59
- Shooting near Pratt Park — UPDATE: One dead – 57
- Metro Shows Significant Changes to the # 2, 3, 4, 11, 12, 14, 27 and more. – 54
- Are Seattle University Students Good Neighbors? SPD & SU Respond to Nuisance Properties – 50
- Protestors from Occupy Seattle and Umojafest attempt to occupy Horace Mann school – 48