Defendant in snowy 2010 hatchet slaying ruled insane

The schizophrenic man who hacked area resident Joe LaMagno to death with a hatchet on the sidewalk near 15th and Union in the cold of November 2010 has been ruled insane and acquitted of the murder.

Michael LaRosa, hospitalized over the last two years at the Western State Hospital as his trial dragged on, will remain at the secure mental facility indefinitely following the December 13th decision that came to light this week in a report.

A neighbor lights a candle at a 2010 memorial for LaMagno (Image: CHS)

LaRosa’s trial for the hatchet murders of LaMagno and Dale Holme in separate incidents in late 2010 had dragged on as prosecutors worked to have the defendant “restored to competency” with treatment at Western State Hospital. A 105-page report on LaRosa’s mental health was considered as part of the acquittal.

“Mr. La-Rosa continues to endorse active symptoms of a major mental illness, despite a lengthy period of medication compliance while at WSH,” a November 2012 report concludes. “The symptoms exhibited by Mr. La-Rosa at the time of the deaths of Mr. Holme and Mr. Lamagno continue, albeit to a lesser degree.”

According to police and medical reports, LaRosa was off his antipsychotic medications at the time of the 2010 attacks and was also severely dehydrated after not eating or drinking for fear that his food and drinks had been poisoned. According to court records, LaRosa reported being physically and sexually abused as a child and said his stepfather had later committed suicide. Reports also document a significant history of drug use. LaRosa said he had episodes when he had heard voices and seen hallucinations of demons.

The 2010 murder scene (Image: CHS)

According to police, LaRosa was homeless and stayed at downtown shelters. He had an address on Summit Ave just prior to the murders, according to county records.

LaRosa, 26 on the day of the November 22, 2010 murder at 15th and Union, was arrested only minutes after the attack when police chased him down in a nearby alley.

The 58-year-old LaMagno was remembered by neighbors as a friendly man who “liked to hang out, drink coffee, chat with the neighbors he warmed up to over the years and, yes, smoke his cigarettes.”

Comments are closed.