Want to help English as a second language students with their homework? Douglass-Truth Library is one of several around the city looking for volunteers for the 2012-2013 school year. Apply by July 16 for priority consideration.
The Seattle Public Library is seeking Homework Help volunteers to assist mainly ESL students in grades one through 12 with homework assignments throughout the 2012-2013 school year.
Volunteers will help students with homework assignments in English, history, math, science, social studies and other school subjects on a drop-in basis. Applicants must have completed at least one year of college and have experience assisting youth as a tutor, teacher or parent.
Homework Help will be offered at the Library locations listed below from Sept. 10, 2012 through June 6, 2013. Volunteers will be scheduled for weekly two-hour shifts. Those who cannot make weekly commitments can be scheduled as substitutes.
· Beacon Hill Branch, 2821 Beacon Ave. S.
· Broadview Branch, 12755 Greenwood Ave. N.
· Columbia Branch, 4721 Rainier Ave. S.
· Delridge Branch, 5423 Delridge Way S.W.
· Douglass-Truth Branch, 2300 E. Yesler Way
· High Point Branch, 3411 S.W. Raymond St.
· Lake City Branch, 12501 28th Ave. N.E.
· NewHolly Branch, 7058 32nd Ave. S.
· Northgate Branch, 10548 5th Ave. N.E.
· Rainier Beach Branch, 9125 Rainier Ave. S.
· South Park Branch, 8604 8th Ave. S.
A volunteer application can be downloaded from www.spl.org by clicking on “Support Your Library” and then selecting “Volunteer Opportunities.”
Individuals who submit their volunteer application by Monday, July 16 will receive priority consideration for volunteer openings. For more information, contact Anne Vedella, volunteer services coordinator, at [email protected] or 206-386-4664.