One of the contractor teams hired by Seattle City Light to help inspect thousands of streetlight poles and vault covers for leaking electricity found another Central District area pole seeping voltage this week.
The pole found at Jackson and 12th Ave South joins a companion problem pole at 23rd and Union on the list of dangerous hotspots found in the neighborhood after concerns were raised about leaking electricity when a dog was electrocuted on a Queen Anne street on Thanksgiving Day. Here are details on the Jackson/12th pole from City Light:
a streetlight pole near 12th Avenue S and S Jackson Street with 100 volts. A crew found frayed wiring that was energizing the pole’s ground wire. Temporary repairs were made to ensure safe operations until a permanent fix can be scheduled.
City Light says that of the more than 5,000 poles and vault covers tested so far in Seattle, only 0.22% have recorded “voltage incidents.” That’s 1 out of every 450. City Light says contractors have so far tested only about 18% of the city’s more than 25,000 poles and vaults.
A City Light spokesperson said the agency was concerned that areas like the Central District and Capitol Hill with older infrastructure might have more dangerous poles than other parts of the city.
Meanwhile, another urban danger appears to be prioritized in the New Year. Seattle Times is reporting that the city’s Pothole Rangers have been beefed up after our winter conditions have unleashed an increase in nasty holes across Seattle.