Cinco de Mayo commemorates the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862. In Mexico itself, It is a regional holiday celebrated in the Mexican city of Puebla (and throughout the State of Puebla), with limited recognition in other parts of Mexico. Here are a few options in and around the Central District, if you’d like to celebrate on behalf of Mexicans.
If you want to opt out of this gringo holiday altogether, enjoy some honey baked ham at home!
- Over in First Hill, Blue Water Grill is offering $5 specials all day: “choose any burrito or two tacos (sorry, no seafood) and chips and salsa or a fountain drink for $5”
- CDNews Sponsor Bottleneck celebrates Cinco de Mayo beginning at 5 pm: “We’ve got a great Taco Bar (veggie options abound as well), Tecate on draft, our hibiscus-infused margarita on special and tequila options galore. Plenty of seating and a great neighborhood atmosphere. If you’d like to enjoy the evening and avoid the mayhem of a frat scene then please come have a cocktail with us!”
- You’ll probably be able to nab a table at El Gallito and Twilight Exit
- $5 gets South of the Border Dog & Sol at Po Dog
- Neighborhood favorite El Mestizo has a great offer: party hours are “4-10pm with mole verde, tamales, half price drink specials and mariachi”.
- Barrio offers a special food & drink menu beginning at 3 pm:
SPECIAL FOOD MENU
- Dry Rubbed Chicken Wings – $6
- “Special Heat” Chicken Wings – $6
- Fried Calamari with Chipotle & Lime – $8
- Mini-Tostadas – $8
- Mini Queso Fundido – $5
- Yucca Fries – $3
- Fried Hominy – $8
- Platter of 6 Tacos – $20 (2 Chicken, 2 Al Pastor, 2 Asparagus)
- Border Sliders – $3 each
- Smoky Pork Sliders with Chipotle BBQ Sauce – $3 each
- Mini Masa Cakes – $5
- Spiced Mixed Nuts – $4
- Albondigas – $9
- El Diablo – $9 Herradura Reposado, Crème de Cassis, Lime Juice, Ginger Beer
- Ghost Chile Michelada – $9 Carta Blanca Beer, Sangrita Verde, Spicy Maria Mix, Lime Juice, Ghost Chile Infused Jose Cuervo Tradicional
- Tecate Draft – $3glass/$13pitcher
- Puebla Punch – $7glass/$28pitcher
The cinco de jamon comment is choice. Thanks for the smiles.