(updated at 9:03am, also see the great update from gatortv) I just got the details on this from Renee Witt at SPD. Late Monday night at around 11:30pm, 911 received several reports from residents who heard 2-3 shots fired in the area southwest of 25th & E. Columbia. Officers arrived and located a victim lying on the sidewalk near the alley on Columbia between 25th & 26th, bleeding from a single gunshot wound to the chest.
A large number of medics were dispatched to the scene at 11:40pm and performed life-saving measures for about 25 minutes. The victim was then transported to Harborview where he expired and was pronounced dead at 12:49am.
Police have not found any solid evidence at the scene such as shell casings or a weapon. But, the police spokeswoman says it’s too early to determine if he was actually shot in the 2500 block of E. Columbia or if he was shot somewhere else and collapsed there. We spoke to a man near the scene last night at 24th & Columbia who heard the shots and said they came from the north, towards Marion. He speculated that the victim then traveled under his own power the spot where he was found on Columbia.
K-9 units were brought in to try and track down the shooter. We heard them following several tracks to the north, eventually settling on a house in the 900 block of 27th, near E Spring St. Several people were removed from the house but a search came up negative.
Police say they have no active suspects or persons of interest so far, but the investigation is active and continuing.
Here’s what we wrote up real-time:
Pretty sketchy info at this point, but here’s what we know:
- Police got a 911 report of 2 shots fired somewhere SW of 25th & E. Columbia
- A large number of medics are treating a victim with gunshot wounds in the alleyway on Columbia between 25th & 26th. A large response usually indicated life-threatening injuries
- A man working in his yard at 24th & Columbia reported hearing two shots from the north, near Marion (NW of E. Columbia)
- Radio reports 2-3 “shadowy figures” were seen heading west on Columbia
- K-9 units are conducting a search in the area, following a possible track to the north towards 25th & Spring eastbound on Marion towards MLK
Update: 12:23am – K-9 has followed a track to a house in the 900 block of 27th Ave. They’re going to do a “knock and talk” there
Update x2: 12:50am – Police are searching a house on 27th Ave
Update x3: 1:04am – The house checks clear