…which is at the intersection of Central District, Capitol Hill and Madison Valley. You know, it’s next to the old Fratelli’s Ice Cream Factory that is now a mixed used building with living space and hot yoga and across the street from the Mt. Zion Baptist church. You might remember buying your fruits and veggies at the farmer’s stand at this corner or you might not even have noticed this space as you drive by. We hope you will soon notice this corner.
We need your ideas! You are invited to take a 2-minute survey. The design phase of the 19th and Madison Park is underway and we’re looking for your input to help us shape the vision to redesign this unused public space! Together with a consortium of neighborhood organizations, the City of Seattle, and community members, we will create an open space for the neighborhood and the people who live, work, and play here.
Last year we received Neighborhood Matching Funds from the city to develop 4,500 sq. ft. of land in front of Hearing, Speech & Deafness Center (HSDC) at the intersection of 19th Ave and E Madison St. Just before the new year, the Friends of 19th and Madison selected J.A. Brennan & Associates to be the landscape architect, teaming up with public artist Carolyn Law.
In addition to the survey, we invite you to meet the volunteers and landscape architect to learn about the project and share your ideas for the park. The three public design meetings will be held on the 1st Floor Conference Room at the HSDC (1625 19th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122) on:
- Tuesday, March 5th @ 6:30 p.m. (share your ideas),
- Wednesday, March 27th @ 6:30 p.m. (evaluate architectural alternatives designed based on your ideas),
- Tuesday, May 28th @ 6:30 p.m. (review preferred plan)
Meetings will be ASL interpreted. Deaf/blind interpreter requests must be made at least two weeks before each meeting, contact [email protected]
- Check us out online! You can find us at 19thandmadison.wordpress.com and facebook.com/19thandmadison
- Get involved! We’re always looking for more people to get involved in the process, to be on a committee, volunteer or to offer more specific feedback. Send us an email at [email protected]
- Donate! It takes a lot of money to build a park, so every penny helps. You can make your contribution today at www.hsdc.org/donate (our fiscal agent)–just remember to designate your donation to the Park! For donation questions, or other ways to give, contact Stephanie Henning at 206.388.1258 or [email protected].
Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!