Community Post

Teenager in serious condition after water rescue on Lake Washington – UPDATED

Anyone know what happened?  Beginning about 20 minutes ago, racing police cars, racing police boat and helicopter overhead.  Reminding me of the Clemmons event.

EDITOR’S UPDATE: According to Seattle Fire, a teenager is in serious condition after nearly drowning:

We responded to the pier at 102 Lakeside Avenue for reports of a child in the water who could not swim. Engine 6 arrived to find citizens had pulled the teenage male out of the water and began CPR efforts. Firefighters found the patient had a pulse but was unconscious and unresponsive. Paramedics transported the patient to Harborview Medical Center with life threatening injuries.

UPDATE 5/17: The 15-year-old is in stable condition, police say. They credit a witness with saving the boy’s life by jumping in, pulling him out of the water and beginning CPR:

Officers were dispatched to a report of a child in the water in the 100 Block of Lakeside Avenue South at approximately 3:30 pm on May 15th.  The first arriving Seattle Police officers got to the scene just as a civilian witness was bringing the boy up out of the water.  The boy, 15, had no pulse and did not appear to be breathing.  According to witnesses, they believed that the boy had been underwater for as long as 10 minutes.  CPR was initiated by the first arriving officers and the witness.    Three East Precinct officers performed CPR on the victim until the Seattle Fire Department arrived and took over.  The victim was revived. Medics then transported the victim to Harborview Medical Center.  At last report, the victim was in stable condition.  The actions of the civilian witness who pulled the boy from the water and CPR performed by the officers most likely saved this young man’s life.

KIRO reports that the hero was BluWater Bistro owner Bart Evans:

One of the kids jumped in and hunted around by feel to see if he could find anyone, but came up empty.

Bart Evans, who owns BluWater, jumped in and headed straight for the bottom, Horcher reported. He felt a boy’s foot and pulled him up. Bystanders were able to help Evans get the boy onto the dock, where they performed CPR.

“I pulled him up by his foot,” Evans said, recalling the rescue. “I was first able to come out of the water and surface, and got his foot above, and then I got up above water, and then somehow we got him over to the pier and got up up, and did CPR and mouth-to-mouth on him.”

5 thoughts on “Teenager in serious condition after water rescue on Lake Washington – UPDATED

  1. I believe this is a GHS student. My daughter was hearing second hand stories from classmates. I hope he makes a full recovery.

  2. Yep My GHS student was saying it was a sophomore. The kids swim there all the time.