This is a community site, and we love it when so many of you sign up and become a part of the site by creating your own posts. It’s fantastic that we can get so many different voices that provide information and perspectives that us editors would otherwise miss.
But there are some simple rules. The biggest is how to reference content from other sources:
- Don’t cut and paste entire articles from somewhere else
- Do include a link to the original source
- Do include an excerpt, generally just a paragraph or two. Use the “Blockquote” tool in the advanced story editor to set it apart as quoted content.
- Do include your own thoughts or information to supplement what was written elsewhere
I had to delete an interesting story about a gay bashing because it took all of the text from the original story on the Slog. It totally could have stayed if it had used less of the original content and added a bit of something new to the story (including facts, opinions, or other thoughts).
- Make it interesting! Well-written, informative, well-thought-out posts will often make it to the front page.
- Got an upcoming event? Put it in the calendar, and it will be above the fold on the front page when it gets close to the date. Although separate story posts about events won’t be deleted, we typically won’t promote those kinds of stories to the front page
- Commercial messages will almost never be promoted to the front page, and will sometimes be deleted if they’re particularly egregious. We’ve got free & paid ads and a business directory that were created for those purposes. And if you have an interesting business-related story, let us know and we might write about it editorially.
Thx for participating!