We just received word from the King County Prosecutor’s Office that a 15-year old juvenile, whose name we are withholding due to his age, has been charged with First Degree Assault and Illegal Possession of a Firearm in the shooting of a Judkins Park man last Thursday.
Prosecutors will attempt to try the suspect as an adult. A hearing is scheduled for next Friday, August 29th, at 8:30 am at Juvenile Hall to consider that request.
The charging documents contain several facts that weren’t previously known:
- The 20 year old victim knows the suspect from the neighborhood and has had “an ongoing conflict” with him.
- The victim was visiting family members near 26th & Alder when he saw the suspect walking with 2-3 other people he didn’t recognize
- The suspect disappeared down an alley, and a few minutes later he returned with a revolver in his hand and began shooting as the victim was getting into his vehicle
- One bullet grazed the victim on the right side of his head, but he was able to drive away without further injury
- The suspect lives with his mother in the 900 block of 28th S. His room has a padlock and he’s got the only key to open it
- The suspect has two prior felony convictions from 2007 for vehicle theft and a narcotics violation
We’re really interested to see how the justice system deals with a violent offender of such a young age, so we’ll be following this one closely to see how things turn out. Stay tuned…